Residential Community Team Member at the Othona Community at Bradwell on Sea.
Othona Bradwell is an open and inclusive Christian Community. We welcome people of all ages, abilities, backgrounds, and beliefs to our centre on the quiet coast of Essex. Through sharing in a daily rhythm of work, worship, study and play, we seek to learn how to live together and learn from each other.
We are a place where people come together to share what they have in common and seek to find a sense of unity together. Therefore, we create a genuine sense of community by sharing and celebrating our common unity. In community we explore the relationship between faith and life and encourage one another in caring for the world and its people. It is a place of welcome and acceptance for whoever you are.
Othona at Bradwell-on-Sea provides programmes for retreat, activities, events and themed based family breaks. We also welcome groups from schools, churches, other faiths and charities to run their own programmes. Our accommodation consists of bedrooms and yurts for up to 60 guests, as well as capacity for people to camp. Our dining facilities can cater for up to 150 people. The average size of most groups is between 40 – 50 people.
Our Residential Community Team
We are a small group who live and work onsite as the residential community team. Each of us offer different areas of experience and we lead on certain functions, as well as muck in together to get all the work done.
The residential community team is made up of salaried roles, volunteers, young people, international students, and it can vary throughout the year depending on needs, capacity and accommodation. Each of us is dedicated to the Othona mission and ethos of providing opportunities to welcome anyone to be part of creating a sense of community together. As a residential community team, we need to live and demonstrate our commitment to community by how we relate and work together too.
Role Details and Duties
As part of the residential community team, we all undertake a variety of tasks on a regular basis to ensure the safe running of the centre, programmes, catering, community, mission and ministry. These will include:
- Providing a warm and welcoming environment for everyone attending our programmes, activities and community.
- Share time together with visitors and guests to listen, support and encourage them to participate in community to the best of their ability.
- Maintenance tasks, along with Gardening and Grounds work
- Cooking and kitchen support, including preparation, cleaning and washing up.
- General cleaning including bedrooms and turning them around for new guests’ arrival.
- Leading and supporting chapel services and reflections to be inclusive and accessible for all.
- Occasional reception & telephone call answering and responding.
- Responding in an efficient and polite way to the needs and issues which arise on a regular basis for guests and visitors.
- Following the Othona values and implementing them through our behaviours to demonstrate that we follow Jesus and his lifestyle of love and servanthood.
- On occasion you may be asked to deputise for the warden and other colleagues in their absence.
- Living together as the residential community team. Sharing the principles of Christian community even when there are no guests or visitors.
- Othona is a 'home from home' community for many of its visitors, with a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere that combines relative simplicity with safety and comfort.
- Any other duties as requested by the Wardens.
We would also consider applications from couples.
Previous applicants need not re-apply.
If this interests you then please look at the role specification- Residential Community Team Member Role
If you would like more information about Othona Bradwell please click on this link- Othona Bradwell- information sheet. You can find out more about our ethos on our website (Othona Philosophy | Othona Essex) and our values and beliefs (Values and Beliefs of Othona | Othona Essex) If you want to explore this opportunity further, then in the first instance please speak to Richard or Debbie Sanders by phone (01621 776564) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).