How To Apply
First, read the job description. Do you think this role might suit you?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use 'Catering' as the subject.
We'll email you a short introductory recruitment form and outline the next steps.
This will usually involve a preliminary visit (unless you've stayed with us in the last two years), a full application form, a few days volunteering with us, and an interview.
Unless otherwise stated, there is no closing date for applications. They are usually considered on a first come first served basis.
Importantly, Othona Bradwell has a well earned reputation for imaginative good home cooked food using local or home grown produce whenever possible.
- Review and improve menus within agreed budgets and ethical guidelines.
- Offer varied menus with a vegetarian option and cater for other dietary needs.
- Manage cleaning and hygiene in the kitchen and storage areas and of the utensils and catering equipment.
- Manage stock, ordering and buying according to good practice, health and economy, avoiding unnecessary wastage.
- Comply with all necessary Food and Hygiene Legislation and maintain rigorous standards of compliance.
- Co-ordinate the cooking and use of the kitchen, encouraging the safe and enjoyable participation of the Core Team, Community Members, Volunteers and Visitors in cooking and related activities.
- Manage the catering operation so that Othona Bradwell meets its catering budget.
Skills and Experience:
Cooking and Catering;
- Have a love of cooking and creativity but deliver simple, wholesome food.
- Be a good basic cook able to prepare meals for small and large groups.
- Have good cooking skills and the ability to plan, prepare and serve homely meals through co-ordination of staff and volunteers who will help to prepare and cook the food.
- Be interested in nutrition and able to plan the menus balancing various dietary needs.
- Be capable of preparing meals and cooking for up to 80 adults and children.
Managing Health, Hygiene and Safety in Kitchen and Storage Areas;
- Understand and implement good health, hygiene and safety practices in the kitchen, in your own work and that of others.
- Be prepared to supplement your qualifications beyond the basics of food hygiene, as agreed with the manager.
- Be able to supervise and train others in appropriate cooking and cleaning skills and safe systems of work.
Planning and Organising;
- Identify key tasks, decide priorities and organise your workload.
- Involve and motivate less experienced people in the busy life of the kitchen.
- Create and maintain auditable records to provide accurate information easily accessible to yourself and colleagues using basic IT skills and acquiring new ones when appropriate.
- Remain calm and positive at all times.
Apart from their specific roles all resident member must be flexible. Please see all staff members for details